Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Spain vs. France, Brazil vs. African Brazil (Ghana)

A couple of notes.

I didn't see the entire match, but from what I read Brazil didn't seem terribly strong this match, but did have absolute flashes of Brilliance. Ronaldo scored a beautiful goal to go past Gerd Muller as the all time goal scoring leader in World Cup History. The truly amazing thing is that Just Fontaine of France is third on the list, 2 behind Ronaldo, and what took Ronald 4 world cups to accomplish only took Fontaine 1. He had 13 goals in one world cup, for a team that didn't even win it all!

Also, I give lots of credit to the Ghanaian Keeper Kingson, for making a lot of great saves...it could have been worse than 3-0, and I really wish they could have snuck in a consolation goal, just to see them celebrate, and feel better about their performance.

Finally Asamoah Gyan picked up his second yellow card with a clear dive late in the match, I felt bad that he got sent off, but it was a deserved card, and was glad the referee called it.

France vs. Spain, I've seen none of this match. And using my Arsenal theory had to root for spain because they had more current Arsenal stars on their team than the other...even though Henry should count for more than one person I guess. Spain, the team that looked as On Form as any other team besides Argentina and France, a team that looked decidedly off form for a team with so many stars. The result is exactly the opposite as I would have expected. I expected a 3-1 or so game in favor of the Spaniards, but Zidane gets to show us for at least one more match the reason you should shave your head when you are balding. Three goals from a team that was struggling to score all tournament.

Another bit of information that I found interesting...Henry has played with Zidane on 55 occasions. Zidane has assisted on a goal for Henry 0 times. That is amazing that one of the best playmakers and one of the best goal scorers have been on the field together 55 times, and they haven't linked up together, it leads me to believe that there may be some ego problems in that game.

I look forward to the quarterfinals, here are my predictions:

England over a depleted Portugal
Argentina over Germany
Brazil over Spain
Italy over Ukraine

And remember, Friends don't let Friends wear Goalie Pants.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Nolan said...

speaking of the lack of a Zidane-Henry hook-up and possible ego issues, Brazil had three different instances of a sure goal on a breakaway about 10 yards out, if the man with the ball passed to his open teammate on the other side of the goal. Each time the man tried to score one on one on the keeper and failed. Each time the open player was pissed off. Where was the acclaimed Brazilian unselfishness?

I was rooting for Spain, but was happy to see Zidane score that goal. He, like Ronaldo, has been too good for too long on this stage to go out on a bad note.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home