Thursday, June 22, 2006

Enough Slacking Already!

This is the message I get this morning from my most loyal and avid reader Dan. Thank you Dan, I needed a kick in the ass. Last night, I had a perfect opportunity to blog, but instead I sat on the porch, eating lobster, watching the sox and poker and drinking. I couldn't blog with lobster entrails on my hands now could I?

Anyway, The main point of this blog is going to be a preview of the HUGE day of matches involving Group E today.

With The US playing Ghana and Italy playing Czech Republic, it's sure to be an exciting finish to a whirlwind of a group.

I am sadly at work, not wanting to take a sick day, because I took one last week for the US Czech match (what a mistake huh?)....so I'm on STRICT media blackout til 6PM or so when I can get home and watch the match.

First off, let's talk about the possibilities for advancement.

All four teams can qualify...

Italy is in the drivers seat with 4 points already.
Czech and Ghana have 3 each.
and The US has 1.

MEANING there are about a million different combinations of things that can happen. But for US fans, they all revolve around one thing...A US win. Without that, they are all done.

So the easiest possibility is that the US win, and Italy wins.

Done deal.

They can also advance with a series of goal differential possibilities, that I won't get into, because basically it will mean the US needs to score like 5 goals or something, and that just ain't happening...well it shouldn't happen.

Italy, won't want to play Brazil in the first round, so they should be playing for a win. Italy will be without red card villian Davide De Rossi, but the Czechs will be without their top three strikers and defender (Baros, Koller, Lovkenc, and Ujfalusi). I hate to do it, but I'm rooting for the Italians and their dirty filthy ways to pull this one off. I hope every dirty tackle, prayer to the ref and dive go the way of the Azzuri, so that thing will go as smooth as an exlax aided bowel movement for the US.

Because,

The US will face Ghana. Now people will be talking about the US being without Pablo Mastroeni and Eddie Pope, but GHana is without Suspended starters and goal scorers Asamoah Gyan and Mutari. That is big, because the US couldn't afford to sit back and play defensively, so Mastroeni probably wouldn't have played anyway.

I look for a great match from the Black Stars of Ghana today, the hopes of the entire African Continent will be on them to advance. But the hopes of one guy feverishly trying to figure out a way to cut off his work internet connection because he may come across a score is that the US will win, Italy will win, and it will be on to the Samba Boys in the Second round for Sam's Army!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home