Monday, June 12, 2006

Recap of Match Day 4

First things first. I had a chance to go back and watch the parts of the Cote D'Iviore vs. Argentina match. I'll say this, Argentina gets a lot of credit in my books. They withstood a strong and persistent attack by the Elephants, led of course by Didier Drogba, and were able to score not once but twice to sieze control of the game. Also, I give a lot of crap to the Argentine players, which is based more on past teams, that I didn't like. This game was void of what I used to consider Argentinian poor play. There was no diving, no praying motions towards the referees begging for fouls, and no touching of the opposing player who you just fouled's head in a "please don't give me a card ref, see, I'm touching his head to see if he's all right" kind of way.

They played well, and despite a possible goal missed that could have been played over his own line by a pants wearing goalie, and a penalty that could have been called due to a handball.

So, especially for loyal deuce reader Dan, Argentina gets all the credit I can give them for their performance.

Now on to the recap.

It started off with Australia vs. Japan.

I stayed up late watching Fast Times At Ridgemont High last night. It was on TBS, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to see the breasts of Stacy or Linda if I didn't watch it on DVD...So I put it in, and sat back, and watched it while blogging.

A few comments...why haven't I ordered business cards that say

Pacific Stereo

Ron Johnson

Audio Consultant?

That would be classic.

Also, I know both Phoebe Cates and Jennifer Jason Leigh were of age when they made this movie...but, were the rules different back in 1983? I mean, Stacy Hamilton was a 15 year old, and they were showing her breasts...I'm pretty sure you couldn't get away with that in today's movies.

Finally, what the fuck is Mark Ratner's problem? I'll never be confused for Cassanova or anything, but if a girl brought me into her room, wearing only a robe, and showing me pictures, I certainly wouldn't be making excuses about bringing my sister's car home when we started kissing. Strap one on and get in there Rat!!!!


Ok, back to the subject at hand.

While the worst broadcast team in my opinion is Dave O'Brien and Marcelo Balboa...the best duo is Glen Daviss and Shep Messing. Davis, is the play by play man, and he seems to be excited about doing his job, as well as knowlegeable about the game. And Messing, is great as a color man, knowlegeable, decent stories about his own playing experiences (he played with Pele on the NY Cosmos), and an honesty and excitement about the game that can't be faked.

Finally, Today's matches.

The reason I told you I stayed up late watching Fast Times, is that I was tired after only 3 or 4 hours of sleep, and even though I set my alarm, I couldn't stay awake for the entire Japan vs. Australia match,. I did see most of the second half, and saw the excitement that Tim Cahill and others brought to the final 10 minutes, giving the Socceroos a much deserved 3-1 win.

I was wondering what the announcers were talking about with the referee, but I've seen it since and it was an absolute horseshit no call. 2 players fouled the goalie, one, completely took him out of the play, and yet nothing. No call, No card, just an undeserving goal for the Japanese.

I mean, for that goal to go in, the goalie would either have had to have been fouled, on dope (aloha Mr. Hand) or David Seaman.

Australia played very well in the second half, and Japan missed a lot of opportunities to put the match away. I usually root for The U.S, England, an African Team (Ivory Coast) and a Scandinavian team, but this year I think I'm rooting for Australia to make it farther than expected.

U.S vs Czech Republic.

I was extremely happy to see the U.S finally play in the World Cup. I was looking forward to seeing some of the experienced players like Reyna, Keller and McBride to show how far the US team has come in their careers. But moreso, I was looking for players like Oguchi Onyewu, Clint Dempsey and Eddie Johnson to burst onto the scene and show the rest of the world that the American team would be able to maintain if not expand their standing on the World Stage.

This did not happen, and in one match the US have basically cut their chances to matching last World Cups successes to Slim and None.

The US came out, knowing that they needed to mark Koller, Nedved and Rosicky, and when all was said and done, they didn't.

Koller scored the first of the match when the defense gave him too much space on the near post. Rosicky scored when Onyewu didn't clear the ball like he had a pair...and Rosicky scored again when no one wanted to tackle him when he was sent in by Nedved. I mean the only thing that made me happy about this game was that Arsenal, my club team of choice is going to have Tomas Rosicky on their team next year.

The best thing of the day was that Bruce Arena, who is often criticized by me for being too loyal to his MLS stars, told the press straight that Beasley and Donovan did not perform...Hopefully, he'll use this to motivate his club, and come out strong against the next guys.

Italy vs. Ghana.

I'll give credit to the Ghanain's Nicknamed the Black Stars, they battled the Italians, and was hurt by lack of finish...But when all was said and done, Italy was too strong...with a surprisingly potent attack, and some strong defense at the back.

The Italians made me realize, it's going to be very difficult to pick up a point, let alone all 3. So the US is goint to have a hard time to advance. They really need to win both their remaining matches because of the poor goal differential they are starting out with. Or they will need the Czechs to lose the remaining matches while the US get a tie and a win. Either way, it's unlikely, and the US may have missed out on an opportunity to turn some of the naysayers out there into believers.

Tomorrow defending champion Brazil battles the Table Cloths of Croatia, South Korea battle the possibly coachless Togo, and Alex Maeder's Swiss play the French.

I'm going back to work, so I'll have to keep Media Blackout on, while watching the games at night. So I don't know if I'll be able to blog until later in the week, but I'll try to keep notes...

So, til later, have fun watching the matches.

3 Comments:

Blogger shayne said...

c'mon france!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Dan Nolan said...

*tip of cap*

"World, may I present to you ... Oguchi Onyewu!!

No. No, yeah, it's that guy. Yeah, the defenseman. On the US team. The tall guy.

what's that? ... um, well I guess I'm presenting him because he's good. really. I swear. stop laughing."

10:54 AM  
Blogger Dan Nolan said...

this is a good blarticle ("blog article" - I'm trying to get that to catch on).

was [Arena] perhaps wondering how it is possible for his four college-educated defenders to be unable to find a bald six-foot-eight Czech lurking five feet in front of their goal? Could it be that in his pre-game tactical discussion, he had told his players, “Listen fellas, just because this guy Koller has scored 42 international goals with his head off free kicks or corner kicks doesn’t mean you should pay him any special attention in the box?”

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home