Monday, June 19, 2006

I've Been Slacking

As the title states, I've been slacking, both in the viewing and blogging about this past weekends games. I'll try my best to explain myself. I didn't really get to see the matches from Friday...I followed them on the internet. I did watch Saturday's matches, including the US v. Italy matchup from a bar in Allston Rock City. Which was fun, the US fans in the bar, hurling obscenities at the Italian players and the Referee was really the highlight of the day. That and the tremendous Pressed Cuban sandwich I had.

The US, deserved to win the game in my opinion...The referee took control of the match. 3 Red Cards. OF the three of them, one was for 2 yellows. Eddie Pope should have been substituted at half time, because the way the ref was calling the match, he was bound to get another yellow, and sure enough he did.

David DeRossi received a red card for elbowing the oft-bloodied Brian McBride. This was deserved, and the referee was right in place. Especially with Fifa's edict to cut down on elbowing before the world cup. The Paolo Mastroeni red card was absolute rubbish in my opinion. First of all, he got a piece of the ball, secondly, he did come through and get the player with his studs, which is a foul, and maybe even a card, but it wasn't from behind, it was only a touch late, and he got the ball, so at the worst, it should have been a yellow card. BOO Mr. Referee Man.

You ruined the match...good way to get noticed.

The goal that was disallowed was the correct call. McBride was in an offsides position, even though he never touched the ball, he was in line between the shooter and the goalkeeper, so he did interfere with the play, thus the whistle was blown. The US should have capitalized on any other number of chances, with Donovan's pass to McBride who scuffed the left footed shot being the most outrageous miss.

So Anyway, I'll be back this week with better and more blogs, I'll get back in the swing.

Soon, we will have the last group matches for each group, and will know who is playing in the next round.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Nolan said...

Matches that have been played since you declared yourself a slacker in this post:

Japan vs Croatia
Brazil vs Australia
France vs Korea
Switzerland vs Togo
Ukraine vs Saudi Arabia
Tunisia vs Spain
Ecuador vs Germany
Ticos vs Poles
England vs Sweden
T&T vs Paraguay
Portugal vs Mexico
Angola vs Iran
Argentina vs Holland
Ivory Coast vs Serbia/Montenegro

I'm fiending for some Cup talk. Can I get a prediction on the US Ghana and Italy Czech Republic games at least?

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home